Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

three whales north of Klemtu give a spectacular display of feeding

Sandy & I have gone for our evening walk to the new BC Ferry terminal 2 kms north of Klemtu
and we see three whales dramatically surfacing near a couple of boats. They dive down showing their tails, and then they dramatically break through the surface, in an obvious planned coordination of timing. They are diving to 'ball up' schools of young herring and then rising through the school with their mouths open.








one whale even suddenly leaped completely out of the water!

the quality of my images is not as good as I would have liked as it was just a dusk in flat light and we were on shore, a bit too far away - and the whales were very fast! I shot with my Canon 7D, 70-200mm F4 IS with canon 1.4x multiplier, and fast motor drive. ISO started at 1000 and later moved up to 1600. Fstop started at F8 and finished at F5.6

1 comment: